Spicy beef rice with chole (chick peas) tastes best with a plain raitha :).Beef can be substituted with mutton as well! Chole should be soaked in water overnight.
Beef Chole RiceSpicy beef rice with chole (chick peas) tastes best with a plain raitha :).Beef can be substituted with mutton as well! Chole should be soaked in water overnight.Soumya Sivadas
1 1/2 Cups
Chole (chick peas)
Ginger Garlic Paste
Small cinnamon sticks
Chilly Powder (heaped)
1 1/2 Teaspoons
1 1/2 Teaspoons
Medium sized Onions(chopped)
Chopped Green chilli
Bay leaf or All spices leaf
Chopped Coriander Leaves
- Cook the soaked chole with some salt and water in a pressure cooker (10-15 whistles) and keep this aside.
- Cook beef along with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder,1tsp pepper powder, 1tsp of ginger garlic paste, water and salt till it is almost done ( 10-15 whistles). Keep aside 2cups of the beef stock.
- In a pan fry bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon sticks and cardamom. Except for the bay leaf, grind the rest into powder. This definitely adds to the flavor hence is a recommended masala!!
- In the cooking vessel, saute onions in ghee till they change the color.
- Move the onions to one side of the vessel and add the rest of ginger garlic paste and slightly saute. Now mix the onions with the paste till you get the rich aroma.
- Add green chillies, salt, turmeric, pepper, coriander, chilli powders and the masala powder. Mix in well.
- Add cooked beef pieces and the washed rice. Pour in the beef stock, add some coriander leaves and mix well.
- Cook on medium fire. Once the stock starts boiling, cover the vessel and cook on low flame. Stir once in a while to avoid the rice from sticking onto the vessel. Check salt and add if required!!
- Add 1 1/2 cups of water if required (incase you are using jeera rice this might be necessary)
- Once the rice is almost done, add chole, bay leaf and mix well. Cover and cook for another 10- 15mins.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.